9.18.2012

Angels

Two very dear people left the earth last week.
My Grandma and Grandpa Oyler passed away
within three days of each other.
Their love story is one people only dream of,
and I feel so blessed to have been loved
by them as their granddaughter.
Here they are on their wedding day in 1945, 
dressed in official Navy uniform.
They met in San Diego, both serving in the Navy.
My Grandpa survived Pearl Harbor aboard U.S.S. Curtiss.
One of my favorite memories of my grandparents was listening 
to stories of their dating years. 
I did not realize the true love they shared until I witnessed 
the care they showed each other in the last years of their lives.
Grandma was in her late stages of Alzheimer's and Grandpa was
there for her every step of the way.
I love these pictures from my wedding day in 2009.
I am so glad they were both able to attend.


These incredible people stand for so many good things.
One thing that sticks out the most to me is
 the love they have for family.
These books are a compilation of their ancestry--my ancestry.
They researched, wrote, and published each one 
for every family member to have.
What a treasure! 
The legacy they have left behind will always be remembered.
I am overwhelmed by the people who have reached out to me
and to my family in the last week, 
expressing their love for my grandparents 
and sharing special memories they shared with them. 
My heart yearns for them when I think about holding their hands,
talking to them on the phone, 
and reading the heartfelt cards I got every year 
on my birthday and Christmas.
I miss sitting in their ocean front apartment 
with the breeze through my hair,
the waves crashing in the background,
and feeling so grateful that I have the full attention of two 
people that love and care about me more than I could understand.
The example they set for our families will live on.
I am so glad these two angels are together.
I am so glad they didn't have to be far from each
other for too long.
I love you Grandma and Grandpa O.

1 comment:

  1. Totally made me cry! Love you and your family, sorry we lost your grandparents but it is sweet that they weren't apart for long and wonderful to know that families are forever. I've been thinking of you a lot this week :)

    ReplyDelete